Offline in the Field Matters
You might’ve been there before, that dreaded moment when you’ve lost your mobile signal and can’t access anything on your phone that needs an internet connection. You’ve forgotten to switch on your offline mode or download your data for use in the field, or you just don’t have that option.
Being able to work anywhere can be the difference between getting the job done right the first time vs delays and unhappy customers.
Traditionally, offline mobile technology has provided the following options:
- No offline technology - here you simply cannot access your data in the field and have to resort to carrying paper and double entering data in the office later;
- Manual offline technology - here you have to remember to download your jobs, which takes time, and often gets missed.
As you can see, the options haven’t altogether been seamless, especially for field service companies that do the majority of their work in remote areas. We’ve worked with a lot of different industries, and offline is always going to be important to have in your back pocket when you need it.
We’ve decided to take a slightly different approach to offline mobile
There is a saying that goes something like this - “Make it simple, and people will use it”.
It Starts with The Beginning of a Workday
Often, before heading out of the office to a job, we spend a bit of time looking at our mobile devices, seeing what work we have coming up for the day. In today’s world, everything is on our devices, and it’s a nice and easy way to ease us into the day by browsing through our feeds or checking our calendar.
We decided this was the perfect opportunity to take a slightly different approach to the way we wanted our offline to work for our customers:
- Any job a technician views while connected to a mobile signal is automatically cached (downloaded) to your device ready for when your mobile signal drops out. No manual saving, and no fiddling.
- If you’re offline, Fieldmagic will let you know you’re offline, and let you know when you save changes that they will be later synced up once you’re back online.
- There is nothing else to do, just the job at hand!
Below are a few screenshots that show our offline in action on our app: